Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Stenciled Buffet Sideboard *how to stencil* Royal Design Studio Stencils African Plume


Remember this empire buffet? It's the one that gave me grief because I had to remove the dreaded felt lining (here's the "before" and the "removing felt how-to").

After removing all that felt, then sanding, priming and painting, I finally wanted to add a stencil detail to the bottom to give it a bit more character. I chose this stencil from Royal Design Studio called African Plume.


If you're reading this because you are thinking about stenciling, you will want to dip your brush then dab it on something to get the excess paint off. I used this wooden block, but I've also used cardboard, paper, and even paper towels. 


 Then dab SOFTLY. It's better to do 2 or 3 soft, light coats than 1 heavy one because the paint will bleed under your stencil.


I went all the way around the bottom, let it all dry...


 then went around again with metallic gold.


After it was all dry, I applied 3 coats of poly (4 on the top) and added matching coral pink knobs.





And that's another piece of Sophisticated Junk.
Thanks for reading!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for Sophisticated Junk Pile...

Pin It Button
Pin It button on image hover