Saturday, January 18, 2014

China Cabinet -colors inspired by kantha blanket arm chairs-

 
I was commissioned to paint this china cabinet by a wonderful gal, Wendy. The cabinet was a hand-me-down from her mother, so she really wanted to keep it, but told me that she couldn't stand the way it looked. Wendy said it needed "funkification" and that I was just the one to do it.
Awwwee... isn't she sweet? She thinks I have funky talent! Warms my heart.
 
 
Wendy had just moved into a new house and gave me pictures of her new living room space. It was a REALLY nice home on the waterfront and I could tell she had an eye for artsy-fartsy, eclectic styles. JUST. LIKE. ME. So I knew we would get along. 
Then she showed me two new arm chairs that she just bought and I LOVED them!
(Confirming we should probably be designer BFFs.)

These awesome kantha blanket arm chairs gave me my inspiration for the cabinet's color palette.
 
 
I had to sand some parts of the cabinet and tape off the glass door to prep for paint.
But first, the primer of course.

 
After painting the side a light, celery green, I taped it off to create the diamond pattern.
TIP: remember to measure your center points so you can align your tape placement accordingly.
This ensures your pattern is also centered.

 
Here's the photo progression...


Seal tape; paint other parts while seal is bonding.


 
And tah-dahhhh... oh wait... what the?!!
While I did a GREAT job sealing my tape in the middle, I totes forgot to seal the edges! uhggggguh!

 
So ya, I guess I'm human after all. Shoot. 
Had to go back around all my edges and fix my time consuming, nearly-fubared mess.
 
But I eventually got it all back in order... and added a few coats of semi-gloss poly.
 
A new shiny glass knob
 
And this Junk has been Sophisticated!


 
Thanks for looking!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Any chance of helping me locate those awesome chairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren, aren't they so awesome?! They were purchased from Zulily, but unfortunately they've since been discontinued. :( Maybe you could find some similar fabric and upcycle some old chairs? Have you ever reupholstered anything?

      Delete

Leave a comment for Sophisticated Junk Pile...

Pin It Button
Pin It button on image hover