Friday, November 8, 2013

How to Decoupage your Nightstand


This cute little nightstand was in bad shape when I got it. Someone painted it in flat white and didn't protect it with any wax or poly. So it was all chipped up, gloppy from an uneven paint job, and the handle was painted incorrectly and broken in half! I don't even know how that would've happened. :/
BUT... it had a pretty figure so I knew I could save it.

I made a similar nightstand with color on the inside of the legs and really liked the look, so I wanted to do that again. I also wanted to decoupage some grammar/english composition papers (from some old high school writing books that I found at Value Village) onto this piece like I did before on these two end tables

My first job was to sand it all down so it was smooth.
Then paint primer on it. I used gray tinted primer from Zinsser (water based).

I chose my colors, Ruby Red and Glacier Ice blue.

And of course the handle... I ripped the old broken one out and was planning on replacing it but, after I painted it, I changed my mind and wanted a knob, so I filled the holes and drilled a new one.


Now for the decoupaging... Here's my how-to; so you can do it too.

Decide what pages you want and place them in the perfect arrangement. When doing pages like this, pay attention to where, and how, the overlapping occurs so you don't accidentally hide a good part to read. 

Once you decide where they go, and in what layer, take a snapshot of it in case you forget. Then you can refer to it later as you decoupage; putting your sheets back in the right place.

To glue the pages down, use a foam brush and put the Mod Podge on the back of the page (not directly on the table), then and stick it on and smooth it out as best as you can. Follow the less-is-more rule when using Mod Podge. You don't want to soak your page, just get it sticky. And no need to paint Mod Podge on the top of the paper until all your sheets are in place. But you should paint it on any loose edges to make sure your page is securely stuck down.

Use small pieces of a page to fill any gaps from weird angles

Once you have all your pages down, 
cover the entire section with several coats of Mod Podge (fully drying between coats). I used three coats of Mod Podge to glue the pages in place, and once dry, I used several coats of polyurethane for protection. This will make it so durable that you can actually use the table and not worry about scratching or ruining it.

 Note: don't panic when you see bubbles. That will happen because the paper is wet but will flatten out as it dries, assuming you smoothed out the pages when you first set them. 
You will know when you don't need another layer of Mod Podge when:
The paper will eventually have enough hard layers of Mod Podge on it, so when you put on another coat, the paper will not bubble at all. Meaning there is a protected coating on your project.

In other words, if you put a layer of Mod Podge on and your paper gets wet enough to bubble
you need to keep adding more coats. 
If you put a layer on and it doesn't get wet enough to bubble, you're done.


Then trim the edges with a knife/razor. I repainted the edges to hide any imperfections of bad cutting.



I also decided to do the inside of the drawer.

When the entire nightstand was painted, decoupaged, and dry, 
I added my three layers of semi-gloss poly on every part.

And added a matching knob!


And that's how I made this Junk, Sophisticated!


Thanks for looking!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for Sophisticated Junk Pile...

Pin It Button
Pin It button on image hover