Monday, March 4, 2013

Sanding vs. Priming


PRIMING:
I sand only if the piece NEEDS it, like if there are deep scratches or old paint that needs to come off. Otherwise, primer all the way! I use oil-based primer on laminate because I feel like it sticks really well to laminate, and on pieces that have been previously painted with oil-based paint.
I used this oil-based primer on this dresser because of the smooth laminate top.
Water-based primer for most of my wood projects that will get a fresh paint job.
And this shellac-based primer is good for blocking odors and stains. Including heavy wood grain that will show through your paint.
I also use clear shellac (at least 3 coats) for those pieces that are musty smelling but don't need primer. Like the inside of the drawers that wont get painted.
You will also want to use this clear shellac if you want to distress your piece and see the natural wood through your paint (instead of white primer).
 
 
SANDING:
Sanding Tip: the lower the grit number on the sand paper, the more course it is.
I prefer an orbital sander for large areas and generally start with an 80-grit sandpaper working my way up to 150-grit for projects that you will be painting.
For bare wood, it's best to make it really smooth if you're going to stain or oil it, so 220 or even higher would probably be the way to go.
I also have a sanding block that is perfect for sanding the bottom of drawers to make them fit better.
And of course I have several regular sandpaper sheets, and many different grits  to use by hand in those weird, hard-to-reach, curvy places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for Sophisticated Junk Pile...

Pin It Button
Pin It button on image hover