Friday, March 15, 2013

3-Way Dimmer Touch Lamps and Mirror

Have you ever wanted to know how to paint those ugly, outdated, brass lamps (or mirrors)? And do it in a way so the paint doesn't chip off? 
I found these two dusty touch lamps at a thrift store. Clearly they had been there for a while, because they were like sticky dusty. You know what I mean? Like they had been in an old lady's house for a loooong time, then sat in this stinky thrift store just as long. BUT... I liked them, could see their future potential... so... I took 'em!
Ok, back to showing you how to keep your paint from chipping... start with these...
Next, you need to scratch them all up. I used steel wool, but I think sandpaper would work too.
Can you see where I have scratched it? It's pretty hard to capture because of the lighting...
 I taped the cord and light bulb socket so paint wouldn't get on them.
Then use a spray paint primer made for metal.
And don't forget to turn the lamp over and paint the bottom curves.
Do the same for the color and don't forget the finials if your lamps have them.
And finally, coat them with a couple layers of glossy polyurethane. It's easiest to use poly in a spray can when you're working on lamps or anything with a lot of curves and details. This is what I use. Also note that I will feel sticky for quite a while, don't worry, it's normal. It will be tacky... tacky... tacky... tacky... then BAM, dry! Especially if you keep it in a warm, humid-free place. Then do a couple more coats, at least 2 or 3.
 
Buy a couple of cute lamp shades and voila!
I also used this same technique for this old mirror.

 

2 comments:

  1. What color valspar paint did you use? I love them!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember the name but in my opinion Valspar spray paint doesn't always match the lid. The lid was a bit lighter than the actual dry paint. So I tend to buy a shade lighter than I want, knowing it will be darker.
      However, I have always had good luck with Rustoluem colors matching the lid. Good luck and thank you for visiting my blog. :)

      Delete

Leave a comment for Sophisticated Junk Pile...

Pin It Button
Pin It button on image hover