Sunday, February 24, 2013

Grammar End Tables -Turquise and Decoupage-


My End Tables and I... or should that be me?
Have you ever wanted to decoupage some furniture? You can use any kind of paper really. Like wallpaper, newspaper, magazines, etc.
Anyway, I had some old books on English grammar and writing skills (they came from a local high school and were used back in the day) and decided they would be perfect for my newest Junk Pile project. Here's my process...
Start with some plain old tables.
 Remove the legs if you can to make painting easier, then paint with primer.
No need to sand if you use good primer.
Then paint your color.  I used Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch in Aqua.
You will want to leave the top primed for your paper. And no need to be super carful with your edges. If you look closely, I just used this handy box to cover the edges as I painted around all the sides. In fact, if a little paint goes on the top edge of the table it's a good thing because, as you will notice later, it's easier to hide your imperfections (when you can't get your paper to match up exactly with the edge of the table). So have no fear... just keep going.
I used these old grammar and writing books that I found at a thrift store. I chose to use three different books (with the same content) so the papers would have some variations, like different sizes and colors. Then lay them out on your table. Pay attention to overlapping and be sure not to cover something of interest (meaning something that someone will actually WANT to read).
 Then I took a snapshot of how I wanted it to look for reference.
  I used Mod Podge for my paper and followed the directions on the back. You will want to apply it to the back of your paper (NOT to the table) because it will adhere better with fewer bubbles. HOWEVER, I watered mine down a bit to make it easier to work with for my first few layers (you will use a total of at least 5 layers when completed).
When you first put it on the paper, the paper will change color (like it's wet, well, because it is) and no matter how hard you try you may see it bubble, but don't worry. Once it's dry, it changes back and the bubbles go away again. Here's a "wet" and "dry" picture to compare. By the way, this was by far my worst bubble and even it disappeared.
You will put Mod Podge over the entire top, let it dry, then repeat and repeat. Get at least 3 or 4 good layers. You will know when you have good layers because the paper will stop changing colors and bubbling. Once that happens, use full strength Mod Podge for the last 2 or 3 layers to get a really good final coat. Then apply at least 3 coats of polyurethane on the top, following manufacturer's directions.
I actually applied my polyurethane (semi-gloss) to the sides and legs before I started applying the paper just to keep it from getting scratched, but you could do this all at the end. The point is to do it.
 And there you have it! Sophisticated Junk!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for Sophisticated Junk Pile...

Pin It Button
Pin It button on image hover