Monday, August 13, 2012

personalized Growth Chart for your kids

wooden growth chart



I saw a wooden ruler-style Growth Chart at a high-end kids' store and thought it was so super cute but no way was I going to pay $150 buck-a-roos for it, plus tax!  Sooo... my crafty self thought "let's do this!"

I went to Home Depot and bought a 7'x1" piece of pine. I perused for a nice one too. One that had nice grain and without any weird or ugly knots. I did want a board with knots though, to make it look more rustic and natural, just not ugly knots or poorly placed ones.  I also bought some wood stain (light walnut) and already had polyurethane at home. Then I went to work.

When I got home, I made sure to wipe down the wood because it was all saw-dusty. Then stained it and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes. 
After that, I wiped it with a clean dry cloth. Actually, it was my husband's old white tee-shirt.
I used a measuring tape and ruler and marked off every inch. Every foot mark is 3" long, half-foot mark is 2" long, quarter-foot is 1.5" and the rest of the lines are just an inch long.
I printed out some numbers to use as templates and traced over them with a ball-point pen to make a slight indent in the wood, then filled it in with black permanent marker. 
I added my family name and finished it off with 3 coats of polyurethane. I wish my pictures were better because it is really, really cute.  And the best part, I can take it with me if we move!

Because I've gotten so many request to make them for friends, I've started selling them for a much better price! A win-win for everybody!
 

I also added this poem to the back
(It was inspired by a poem called Taller to Smaller; author of original poem unknown)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for Sophisticated Junk Pile...

Pin It Button
Pin It button on image hover